The Hawkins County Library System Board of Trustees next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 6th at 6:00pm at Surgoinsville Library.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dana Parker, Church Hill Library Manager, graduates from
Tennessee’s Public Library Management Institute
Church Hill, TN, December 9 — Hawkins County Library System is proud to announce that Dana Parker, Branch Manager of the Church Hill Public Library, recently graduated from Tennessee Public Library Management Institute (PLMI) and received the prestigious Certified Public Library Manager (CPLM) designation. With Ms. Parker’s recent CPLM designation, Hawkins County Library System now has 2 CPLMs on staff.
Ms. Parker is a 19-year employee with Hawkins County Library System at the Church Hill Public Library and has served as the Branch Manager since 2013. During her tenure as the Branch Manager, Ms. Parker has overhauled the library collection of books and other circulating materials, established new programs, and added new technology. Ms. Parker states, “At the end of the day, if I’ve helped one person love to read or changed their life by directing them to the correct information, I feel like I’ve accomplished what I’ve been called to do.”
Public Library Management Institute is a comprehensive training program conducted by the Tennessee State Library and Archives designed to qualify graduates as Certified Public Library Managers (CPLM). Ms. Parker attended 3 annual intensive training sessions starting in 2017. In addition to the annual sessions, PLMI graduates are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education credits each of those 3 years, attend monthly virtual meetings, and complete a final project.
All employees of Tennessee libraries participating in the Regional Library System, including Hawkins County Library System are required to complete annual continuing education credits. The continuing education requirement establishes ongoing professional development as a priority, which means staff are continually staying up-to-date on library trends and issues as well as continuously improving their skills.
Please join Hawkins County Library System in congratulating Ms. Parker on her achievement.
Hawkins County Library System is an independent public library system serving Hawkins County, TN and surrounding communities.
If you would like more information about this topic, please call Dana Parker at 423-345-4591 or email DanaParker(AT)hawkinslibraries.org.
Hawkins County Library System is partnering with the U.S. Census Bureau to jump start the hiring of 2020 Census workers. A Census recruiter will be at the libraries to assist in the application process. See below for more details. Check dates & times on our Events page.
Hiring Event Location, Days, & Times
H.B. Stamps (Rogersville) – January 28th 5-8pm, January 30th 6-8pm
Church Hill – January 28th 11am-2pm
Surgoinsville – Fridays 4-6 PM
- The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring temporary workers in Hawkins County for the 2020 Census.
- Jobs will start after January 1st.
- The pay starts at $13.50 per hour, plus 58 cents per mile.
- Very flexible hours, perfect for students, retirees, at-home parents, or those wanting extra income.
- You may work between 20-40 hours per week, on a schedule of your choosing. Your schedule can change from week to week, allowing for your other job or family responsibilities.
- A Census recruiter will be available at Hawkins County Library locations to answer questions and help with the application process on the following schedule through the month of December (except for Dec. 24, when all libraries will be closed). See our Events page for dates.
- Veterans encouraged to apply- please bring a copy of your DD-214.