Addendum #3. a to the Library Service Policy
- Laptop computers and portable electronic devices (PEDs) can only be checked out by patrons in good standing with a Hawkins County Library System Card (H.B. Stamps Library; Church Hill Library; Surgoinsville Library). New patrons must have completed a 30 day waiting period before being permitted to check out a laptop computer or other electronic device. The library card must be left at the circulation desk while the item is checked out.
- The laptop/PED can only be used in designated areas inside the library building. Under no circumstances is the borrower to leave the laptop/PED unattended.
- If a laptop/PED is removed from the building, the police will be notified and the borrower will be denied future borrowing privileges.
- Patrons who have fines over $5.00 are ineligible to check out a laptop/PED.
- A patron may borrow only one laptop/PED at a time.
- Laptops/PEDs are available on a first come, first served basis. They may not be reserved in advance. Laptops/PEDs will not be checked out less than one hour before the library closes.
- Laptops/PEDs may be checked out for four (4) hours at a time. Time may be extended at the discretion of the staff. Laptops/PEDs must be returned to staff at the circulation desk 30 minutes before the library closes.
- Borrowers may not install software or alter, delete, or copy any software on the laptop/PED or change its existing configuration.
- Borrowers must use a flash drive to save their work or send it via an email attachment. When the computer is turned off, the files are automatically deleted.
- Black and white printing from the laptops is available through a wireless connection. For color copies, save your work to a flash drive and staff will print it. Fees are charged for all copies.
- The borrower has full responsibility and fiscal liability for all costs associated with damage to the laptop computer/PED or its associated peripheral equipment during the period it is checked out or its replacement costs should it be lost or stolen.
- The Hawkins County Library System is not responsible for damage to any removable device or loss of data that may occur due to malfunctioning hardware or software.
Adopted by the Hawkins County Library system Board of Trustees March 2, 2015.